Conservation Areas, Listed Buildings / Heritage Assets and the Planning system.

Local planning authorities designate conservation areas, which are referred to as “areas of special architectural or historic interest.” which it would be desirable to maintain or improve in terms of character or appearance. It is best to check with the local council
before beginning work that would not require planning permission elsewhere if you live in a conservation area. If not, you can be subject to enforcement action. Your proposal will likely be subject to more stringent planning restrictions if the property for which you are seeking permission is a listed structure or is located in a conservation area.

In conservation areas, outline planning approval is typically not given since it is difficult for councils to assess the impact of a proposal without knowing all the specifics. Conservation area designation may effect the planning process in the following ways:

Trees in designated Conservation Areas.

Even if a tree is not covered by a TPO, it is still protected if it is rooted in a conservation area. As such, you are required to notify the local council if you plan to perform any tree maintenance work including; felling, topping, routine pruning, pollarding. It is advised that you carry out this step before beginning any work so that you may determine whether your project is exempt from the regulations.
Notice of tree work must be given six weeks in advance and is a legal requirement for all trees with a stem diameter of 75mm or over, when measured at a height of 1.5m. There are four types of TPO, although an application may consist of one or more types. These are: Individual; Group; Area, and Woodland.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you require any type of planning service by emailing [email protected].